Civil Partnership

  • Home
  • Civil Partnership

Eligibility Criteria

If you and your partner are in a same-sex relationship similar to marriage, then you may be eligible for this visa.

To qualify for entry to the UK as a civil partner you must show that:

As the applicant, you will need to show that you are a civil partner of:

In addition, it is important that you are able to demonstrate that there will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants to occupy exclusively, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without access to public funds.

To qualify, your spouse or settled partner must also be earning at least £18,600 per annum, or have savings to be able to sponsor you. If also sponsoring children as dependents then this financial requirement will increase.

Duration of Stay

Civil Partner Visas are initially issued for a period of 33 months (if applying from overseas) or 30 months if applying from within the UK. A further extension must be sought for an additional 30 months to take you to 5 years.

Once you have spent a period of 5 years on a civil partner / spouse probationary visa, you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK provided that you are still married and living with your civil partner in the UK and can continue to meet the maintenance requirement mentioned above.